December 21, 2005

Meeting 8

Minutes from Officers Meeting, 12/20/05
Prepared by: Dave McKeithan

Attendees: Bill Carley, Moe Gingerich, John Hutchinson, Dave McKeithan

The newly elected officers met on December 20, 2005. We reviewed and approved a draft of Officers
Duties. These are as follows:

President Preside over all meeting of the association Make specific assignments to other officers and
other members Make committee assignments Represent the association to other organizations Perform
duties of treasurer when absent

Vice President Perform duties of the president when absent Serve as program director Perform duties
of secretary when absent Other duties as assigned by the president

Secretary Take and publish minutes of all meetings Conduct all correspondence and serve a primary
communicator regarding the association's activities Be custodian of all association records Maintain a
list of members and visitors designating member status

Treasurer Collect dues, fees and other monies paid to the association and deposit such funds into the
association checking account Maintain the association checking account Keep an account of all monies
received and spend and report such activity at each monthly meeting. Prepare a written yearly
accounting of receipts and expenses for record and present to officers Make disbursements as approved
by the officers.

Librarian Collect, organize and catalog all documents, publications and other media belonging or
loaned to the association Create and maintain a listing of all media that is available to all members at
meetings and is posted on the association website Develop and maintain a sign-out process for loaning
out documents.

It was noted that a great deal of work is performed by the Secretary and Treasurer and that Moe is now
doing both of these functions. We agreed we should try to find another officer to perform one of these
duties. We will solicit for volunteers at the next meeting.

While Moe is away for the next three months, Dave will serve as Treasurer and Bill will serve as
Secretary.

We discussed the officer's succession policy. Since our group is small, we want to build some
flexibility into this. While we want to promote the yearly rotation and succession of all officer
positions, we want to retain the flexibility for people to opt out of a position if they desire and to bring
new individuals into the positions if they want to participate. We will work out the appropriate wording
for the by-laws.

It was decided we should adopt a set of by-laws that will document the policies and practices we have
agreed to at our previous meetings. Dave will work on drafting a document which will be presented to
the officers for review and then to the membership for approval.

We have also decided to extend our meeting hours to provide more time for demos and other planned
programs. In the future we will start our meeting at 6:30. The first half hour will be dedicated to club
business. We will attempt to start the program for the evening promptly at 7:00, ending at 9:00. This
will give us a full two hours of lathe time. All members are invited to attend both the business session
as well as the program session. We want to start organizing our program for next year. At the next
meeting we will solicit the members to give us ideas for things they would like to see at future
meetings. For the January meeting, Dave will do a demo on bowl turning basics. For February we hope
to be able to do a demo on sharpening tools. We will be trying to get volunteer demonstrators from
other local clubs to come out and demo their specialties. We also want to begin looking into club
demos at places like Home Depot and the crafts shows in Waxhaw and perhaps Lancaster. As Program
Director, Bill will coordinate this activity, so please forward ideas to him.

We also discussed means for raising money for the club. One possibility is to have raffles or auctions at
the meetings. We can get $15-$25 gift certificates from companies like Woodcraft and Klingspor and
people can donate wood or other shop supplies they don't need. We can sell tickets for $1 for each item
and draw the winners at the end of each meeting. This works well for the Charlotte club and they
always bring in a few extra bucks for the club.

It is also possible to bring in some money at club demos. We can give bowls or other items we are
turning during the demo in exchange for a contribution to the club. Likewise, we can set up a gallery of
member's turnings and offer them for sale with some percentage, such as 20% of the sale, going to the
club.

We discussed the next purchase for the club. It was unanimously agreed that we should purchase a tool
sharpening system. This will consist of a slow speed grinder and a jig system similar to the Wolverine
system.